Inspiring kids and families to move in Assiniboia
What we've been up to:
- Assiniboia started the Community Action Process in 2015. They have:
- established a multi-activity sign-up/used equipment sale night in the fall
- hired a dedicated recreation director (Stephanie VanDeSype) and public works employee (Rodney Frank)
- approved critical sidewalks and built new infrastructure to significantly improve connectivity between schools and crosswalks
- opened the dog park and created a Facebook page for the Assiniboia Dog Park Community
- established community celebrations for Family Day, Canada Day, Halloween and Christmas
- We held a focus group on November 13 2019. At this session, we discussed physical activity in the area and what we can collectively do to get Saskatchewan moving more and sitting less.
To learn more about physical activity in Assiniboia and the plan community leaders and residents developed to get local kids moving more, read their Community Profile.
- Continuing to work on the School Travel Planning process.
- Recruiting new members to join the Assiniboia in motion committee and assisting with community events.
- Promoting and engaging the community to join in Let's Walk Wednesday.
- Engaging all community members to become more active by offering a variety of activities (e.g., free public skating and shinny 6 days a week, youth soccer, and more).
- Securing program funding to assist with additional programs.
Assiniboia wins #GOAP2020!
Wow Assiniboia! You did it -- you logged 435,696 minutes of physical activity during March 1-10, 2020 to win the Saskatchewan Blue Cross Go Out & Play Challenge. Congratulations! We hope you love your new climbing wall at the Aquatic Centre. Don't stop now -- visit www.saskatchewaninmotion.ca to find more great ideas to keep your familiy moving all year long!
Watch this space to keep up with what's happening in Assiniboia. Sign up for our email list to make sure you don't miss a thing.
Want to know more?
- Learn about our Community Action Process.
- Visit the town's website or Facebook to find local opportunities to move.
- See what we're doing in other in motion communities.
- Reach out to your local in motion contact, Janna Zalinko - firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For GOAP inquiries, contact Stephanie VanDeSype - email@example.com.