Martensville part of physical literacy pilot
Saskatchewan in motion and the Partners for Physical Literacy are working with a local team in Martensville to develop a specific plan for getting kids moving more and increasing physical literacy at home, at school and in the community.
What’s physical literacy? It’s the confidence, competence and motivation to move and one of the keys to a lifelong love of physical activity. Learn more about physical literacy, why it matters and what you can do, here.
What we’ve been up to:
- Saskatchewan in motion collected information through an online community survey, focus groups and one-on-one meetings.
- We held a gathering October 25 to bring the community together. More than 50 people attended the Moving Together Symposium to explore opportunities and identify practical, local actions that will get kids moving more and increase physical literacy. Saskatchewan in motion is compiling the results of the session and planning follow-up meetings.
- University of Saskatchewan has assessed the physical literacy of Grade 4-8 students with the help of local volunteers. They're reviewing the data and planning and plan follow-up testing down the road.
- We held an action planning meeting January 24. At the session, we set some priorities based on the results of the Moving Together Symposium, set objectives for each, and started to identify who would be involved in each action.
- Congrats to Brooklyn C. of Martensville, winner of our Active Toy Guide contest. Brooklyn won a $250 Canadian Tire gift card to help her family gear up for winter fun!
What's next - We're finalizing Martensville's Community Profile and action plan. Both will be posted here when they're complete. We're also making connections with in motion partners who can support the priorities Martensville has identified.
Watch this space to keep up with what’s happening on the project. Sign up for our email list to make sure you don’t miss a thing.
Want to get involved? Interested in learning more about what’s happening in Martensville? Want to get involved? Contact Angela Reddekopp - firstname.lastname@example.org.
See what's happening in other in motion communities.