Inspiring kids and families to move in Nipawin
What we've been up to:
- The implementation of the Active Community Plan has led to the creation of a designated route system for travel to and from school - and some students utilize our trail system. Investigating adding sidewalks in the future to simplify the routes.
- Added disc golf course in Central Park, as well as a parent and tot program at the Evergreen Centre and the pool.
- After the success of the community's recreational lacrosse program in 2018-2019, Nipawin is starting a youth lacrosse program and hope to have league play next season.
- February break (2019) programming for the kids was very successful and had them participating in a mini-sticks tournament, movie nights and a dance party. In 2020, they may include an open organized shinny and other on-ice games at the arena, and possibly a dodgeball tournament.
- Cross country ski packages and snowshoes are available for use on their well-maintained, beautiful ski trails.
Screen time documentaries shown in Nipawin
We held two special screenings with Nipawin's Primary Health Care Team:
- Screenagers: Growing Up In the Digital Age (January 14 2020)
- Screenagers NEXT CHAPTER: Uncovering Skills for Stress Resilience (February 4 2020)
We had great conversations discussing balancing screen time at both sessions, and the information gathered will be used by a provincial working group that is being established to review and to develop an action plan to support leaders, educators and parents across the province.
That's a wrap on #GOAP2020!
Wow! Saskatchewan logged 3,421,133 minutes of physical activity during March 1-10, 2020 in the Saskatchewan Blue Cross Go Out & Play Challenge. What an impressive number! While you didn't secure one of the cash prizes, we firmly believe that everyone wins when kids and their families get out and get moving. Don't stop now -- vist www.saskatchewaninmotion.ca to find more great ideas to keep your family moving all year long.
Watch this space to keep up with what's happening in Nipawin. Sign up for our email list to make sure you don't miss a thing.
Want to know more?