Episode 4 - Outdoor Winter Play
Corinna Dahl Ritco (mom of 2) and Holly Gustafson (mom of 5) have a cozy chat about a chilly topic: outdoor winter play.
Our moms share:
- why it’s important to make a conscious effort to get outside in winter
- how they think their families benefit from outdoor winter play
- tips for getting started if you’re a family of hibernators
- how making it a family affair increases your chance of success
Corinna shares her perspective as a teacher and former outdoor educator and Holly talks about the Polar Bear Club at her kids’ elementary school. The club gives families the option of letting kids outside at recess even when the temperature dips below -27 C.
Our mom panel also discusses news and recent social media posts on the topic, including:
- Rachel Gaynor’s post about Four Crucial Ways Playing Outdoors in Winter Benefits Children
- why blogger Rain or Shine Mama lets her kids play outside in almost any weather
- an Edmonton daycare project designed to cultivate risky outdoor play in winter
Mom2Mom is sponsored by Saskatchewan Blue Cross.