Episode 8: Active at school
Episode 8 – Keeping kids active at school, from recess to phys ed and in the classroom.
Sara (mom of 4) and Corinna (mom of 2) talk about keeping kids active at school. They touch on:
- how recess has changed since we were kids
- whether it’s different for girls and boys
- the trend toward banning certain activities on the playground
- their thoughts on taking away recess or phys ed class as a punishment
- Sara’s experience with alternative school hours (no set recess times)
Sara and Corinna also share their thoughts on recent headlines and online posts, including:
- Scary Mommy’s post on what happened when a Texas school tripled recess time
- this CBC story about how physically active math and language lessons improve academic achievement
- a Saskatoon Public Schools project that uses circus arts to engage kids who might not choose or have access to, traditional sports or arts activities
For more ideas and inspiration, visit www.saskatchewaninmotion.ca/mom2mom
Check out more Mom2Mom episodes here.