Wynyard part of physical literacy pilot
Saskatchewan in motion and the Partners for Physical Literacy are working with a local team in Wynyard to develop a specific plan for getting kids moving more and increasing physical literacy at home, at school and in the community.
What's physical literacy? It's the confidence, competence and motivation to move and one of the keys to a lifelong love of physical activity. Learn more about physical literacy, why it matters and what you can do, here.
Thanks to everyone who provided feedback to help us paint a picture of physical literacy and physical activity in Wynyard! Your Community Profile is the first step toward developing a plan to get local kids moving more.
What we've been up to:
- Saskatchewan in motion collected information through an online survey, focus groups and one-on-one meetings.
- We held a gathering November 7 2018 to bring community leaders together. Ten local leaders attended the Moving Together Symposium to explore opportunities and identify practical, local actions that will get kids moving more and increase physical literacy.
- We visited Wynyard February 7 2019 with Dr. Alexandra Stoddard from the University of Saskatchewan. We held focus groups with students in grades 4 to 6 and met with local school administrators and teachers.
- We held an action planning meeting April 29 2019. At the session, we set priorities based on the results of the Moving Together Symposium, set objectives for each priority, and started to identify who would be involved in each action.
- Opened their brand new, multi-million dollar four season facility, the Co-operative Place, on October 25 2019.
That's a wrap on #GOAP2020!
Wow! Saskatchewan logged 3,421,133 minutes of physical activity during March 1-10, 2020 in the Saskatchewan Blue Cross Go Out & Play Challenge. What an impressive number! While you didn't secure one of the cash prizes, we firmly believe that everyone wins when kids and their families get out and get moving. Don't stop now -- visit www.saskatchewaninmotion.ca to find more great ideas to keep your family moving all year long.
Watch this space to keep up with what's happening on the physical literacy project. Sign up for our email list to make sure you don't miss a thing.
Want to know more?
- Learn more about our Community Action Process.
- Visit the town's website, Facebook or Twitter to find local opportunities to move.
- See what we're doing in other in motion communities.
- Reach out to your local in motion contact, Sigourney Anderson - email@example.com.