Inspiring kids and families to move in Yorkton
What we've been up to:
- Yorkton in motion committee has been active for 20 years!
- One of the most significant projects was completing the designated bike lanes on two major streets in the community. The Yorkton Active Transportation Committee (YATC), along with the School Travel Planning (STP) Committees have worked to make active transportation safer and an easy choice. The designated bike lanes and shared use stenciling has created awareness that there may be someone on their bike on the streets.
- Every spring, a letter or presentation is sent to Yorkton City Council to reinforce the importance of good access for children and youth in their daily trek to school and back home.
- Completing the work of the STP process in schools has raised awareness with schools, parents and city of the need to create environments around schools to make it an easy choice to use active transportation to the schools.
- Schools have added more information into their newsletters to parents, some use sandwich boards to slow traffic after school, the City paints lines and ensures signage is visible and tree branches are trimmed away.
- The schools, in partnership with RCMP/fire fighters, have been doing Grade 3 Bike Rodeos in all the elementary schools each year in May. YATC also hosts a Community Bike Rodeo to coincide with the School Bike Rodeos.
- We held a focus group on November 20 2019. At this session, we discussed physical activity in the area and what we can collectively do to get Saskatchewan moving more and sitting less.
- YATC will continue to host the Community Bike Rodeo, along with presentations to Council for the on-street shared use stenciling and designated bike lanes. Will also continue to support schools in working to create good active transportation options.
Watch this space to keep up with what's happening in Yorkton. Sign up for our email list to make sure you don't miss a thing.
Want to know more?